Education Officer vacancy at Wildwood
Job Title: Education Officer
Responsible to: Head of Education
Post: Permanent, full-time
Salary: £17,000-18,500 pa
Wildwood is looking for an experienced Education Officer to join our award-winning team. As No. 2 in the education department, you will be working with children, students and the public, communicating Wildwood's wildlife conservation message to the widest possible audience in innovative and inspirational ways. This is definitely a job for someone who wants to work with children and the public, not for someone who wishes to work specifically with animals, and the majority of teaching and presenting takes place out in the woods, whatever the weather or season. It is not a classroom-based teaching position.
The post involves teaching, planning, administration, presenting, staff training, management and resource development for both formal and informal education markets. You report directly to the Head of Education. Your main focus will be to assist in the smooth running of our busy schools' programme. This includes preschools, primary and secondary schools, special schools, A-level/IB ecology and conservation students, FE and HE students, overseas schools and adult education at all levels. Working closely with the Head of Education, your main responsibilities in these areas will include:
- Teaching visiting school/college/university groups at Wildwood (e.g. guided tours, interactive workshops, animal encounter sessions, lectures, ecology and conservation courses, etc)
- Assisting with outreach visits when required
- Researching, developing and delivering new educational programmes
- Designing and preparing educational resources (this includes crafts and preparing animal artefacts – skulls, skeletons, etc)
- Liaising with teachers/lecturers in person and via phone/email
- Administering the education booking system
- Assisting in the management of the education diary
- Maintaining departmental records of school visits
- Designing/updating education literature
- Maintaining education department webpages
- Processing school evaluation forms
- Making all this fun!
How to apply
Please visit www.wildwoodtrust.org to download and read the full job specification and complete the application form.
Applications will not normally be acknowledged. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview in late September.
You should give two referees to whom we can turn for a confidential reference, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. References will only be taken up for those candidates chosen for interview or, with regard to current employer, on offer of contract.
Interviews and selection tests will be held at Wildwood during the week beginning Monday, October 17, 2011